Saturday, April 14, 2007

Communication, expression or both?

Whether the result of our creative energy is a song, a poem or a painting, it is a vehicle to communicate a thought, an idea, an experience or an emotion. Is it important that the viewer, or audience, experiences the painting in the same way that the artist experienced it? Perhaps, if the artist's intention was to communicate a specific idea or emotion. When the content of the work evolves during the creative process, as it does in my paintings, the viewer is invited to experience the work in a personal manner that might differ greatly from the experience of the artist.
After many years of trying to figure out what it was that I wanted to share with the world through my paintings, I realized that my intent was simply to help the viewer open the door to her own thoughts, memories, feelings and creative energy. I do not wish to impose subject matter. The dilema is that most viewers need to be able to identify something, a shape, a form, a familiar object, in order to become engaged in the painting. It took a long time for me to understand and accept this and ultimately to find a way to balance subject matter and my own creative process. Once I was able to understand the rules of the game I was able to let go of my resistance to subject matter and allow it to be an element in my painting. It no longer matters whether it is a figure, a bowl of fruit or a forest of birch trees. The painting evolves in its own way; the subject is only the key that unlocks the creative energy.

Image: Adirondack Birch Trees No.1
Watercolor Painting by Chris Carter

4 comments:

petelutz said...

Hey Chris. Good stuff here. And, this is how this works.

Chas said...

Chris,
Great idea...and a great start! My first reaction to this painting was very positive...good choice of color, space, texture and just an overall good "feel". I immediately saw trees and movement. I feel drawn into the painting...where is it, what is happening there? Thanks for the opportunity to share in this interaction. Hope many good things come from this!
Chas

Unknown said...

The inspiration and reference for the painting was a cluster of Birch trees in Keene Valley, New Hampshire. During my twenties I had adventures climbing the nearby cliffs. The play of light as it flickered through the swaying trees reminds me of the beauty of the light striking the sun-warmed rock of the cliffs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, great work with your bloq.
I don´t know if it´s posible but it will be great if the links from your bloq to other pages as yours will apear in a different window instead of have to go back with this one.
As I spoke with you in New jersey it´s really interesting to see those organic shapes in your work.
I really enjoy them.